Here is something to think about
Have you ever stopped to think about what ingredients are in your bath and body products? Or how much you put on your body every day?
7 Toxic Chemicals to Watch Out For In Bath & Body Products
1. Lead: It seems crazy, but according to the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics (CSC), more than 60% of popular lipsticks contain lead. Brands with the highest lead levels were L’Oreal, Maybelline, Cover Girl and Revlon. And an FDA study found lead in hundreds of lipsticks (five of the 10 most lead-contaminated were made by L’Oreal). Lead is a proven neurotoxin, and its particularly dangerous for pregnant women and children.
2. Triclosan: Triclosan is a suspected endocrine disrupt-er, meaning it messes with your hormones and could lead to fertility problems (in men and women), breast cancer and thyroid issues (they’re particularly dangerous for fetuses and tween/teen girls). Because triclosan is antimicrobial, it’s found in deodorants, toothpaste and soap (including Bath & Body Works soaps). But studies have shown no evidence that it’s better than soap and water at killing germs.
3. Formaldehyde: Formaldehyde is present in more beauty products than you’d think, even though it’s been classified as a known human carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer and a probable human carcinogen by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Though there’s been outcry about formaldehyde in chemical hair straighteners, it can also be found in nail polish, face wash and makeup. DMDM-Hydantoin, a preservative that releases formaldehyde, is also common in shampoos.
4. Toluene: Found in nail polish, perfume and hair dye, toluene can cause dizziness, headaches and skin irritation. It also poses special danger to developing fetuses, upping risk of both miscarriage in moms and birth defects in babies. The European Union banned its use in cosmetics in 2004. It might also appear on labels as phenylmethane, methylbenzene, or toluol.
5. Hydroquinone: Hydroquinone is one of the most toxic chemicals still used in cosmetics today. A carcinogen in and of itself, it can also increase exposure to UV rays (thereby upping risk for skin cancer, too). It’s most commonly found in skin-lightening products, but it’s also found in hair relaxers, hair dye, hair-extension glue, hair removers and sunless tanning products. The FDA moved to ban its use in these products back in 2006, but never has.
6. Phthalates: Used to preserve color and scents in makeup, phthalates are endocrine disruptors that have been linked to cancer, sperm damage and reproductive problems. Phthalates are often added to synthetic fragrances, which are common in soaps, lotions, cleansers and hair care products. Because products are allowed to list ‘fragrance’ as an ingredient without specifying what that means, many products contain phthalates even though their ingredient lists don’t. [For more on synthetic versus natural fragrance, clickhere.]
7. Parabens: Used as a preservative in cosmetics, shampoos and lotions, parabens are also endocrine disruptors that have been linked to breast cancer and male reproductive problems. Look out for ingredients methylparaben, butylparaben, ethylparaben and propylparaben.
Safe Alternative Bath and Body Products
Offers superior face and body care products certified by Eco-cert that are safe, effective and valued for their natural properties. Everything from lotions, body wash, deodorant and skin care products. (shop products)
Development processes utilize scientific research to ensure that their products contain high
quality ingredients that enrich and nourish the skin. The result is a beautifully efficacious product that is safely compatible with virtually every Skin Type.
Younique begins by looking to Mother Nature for the inspiration behind our cosmetics. Our in-house scientific team then formulates a product that honors that inspiration while delivering cutting-edge cosmetics. Their goal is to provide healthy, clean, and pure cosmetics.
Effective and unquestionably safe, Eco-friendly, beautiful, convenient, and affordable products for everyone. Their growing product line is comprised of Eco-friendly diapers (with super stylish designs) and a natural line of bath, skincare, home cleaning, and organic nutritional supplement products . These are all packed in convenient bundles that can be customized, personalized, and conveniently shipped whenever needed.
Put your best face forward with new organic facial products. Nature’s most skin loving ingredients like Moroccan Argan Oil, Rosewater and Pomegranate are combined with vitamins and antioxidants to deeply moisturize and protect. Nourish Organics leaves your skin brighter, healthier and younger looking. Perfect for normal to dry skin. Includes: Face Cleanser, Face Serum, Face Lotion, & Face Cream.
There are safe alternatives out there that work just as good as most of the name brand products. I was amazed at how many products I was using that had some or most of these harmful chemicals in them. It didn’t take me long to find safe alternatives that I know are better for me and my family.
There is also an app you can download on your phone called Think Dirty. Think Dirty is the easiest way to learn about the potentially toxic ingredients in your cosmetics and personal care products. Just scan the product bar code and it will give you easy-to-understand info on the product, its ingredients, and shop cleaner options!
Comment below what products you use at home that are Chemical Free. I would love to hear what you are using and what products you love.by