Inflammation is commonly associated with pain though, in reality, it is our body’s natural response to injuries, as well as from bacterial or viral infections. The pain and discomfort often associated with inflammation can come hand in hand with the body’s attempt to heal itself.
The Top 5 Essential Oils for Inflammation and Arthritis
- Rosemary: You can use it as a massage oil, especially to treat muscular pains and rheumatism. Rosemary essential oil can help stimulate circulation. It increases blood flow to the muscles and warms the massaged area to reduce inflammation, as well as relieve pain.
- Adding a few drops to a hot bath helps relieve muscular and joint pain.
- Peppermint: Has Anesthetic, as well as anti-inflammatory properties, which provide relief for pain, stiffness, and inflammation associated with arthritis. As this oil has such a potent scent, combining it with a carrier oil can reduce its punch.
- Simply dilute a few drops in two tablespoons of jojoba or almond oil before massaging it onto the inflamed joints. Adding a few drops of a citrus oils such as lemon essential oil can help to amplify its cooling, soothing properties.
- Lavender: Has anti-inflammatory properties and a soothing scent.
- To use as massage oil, add 5 drops to 10 ml of a carrier oil such as wheat germ oil. A lavender bath or compress are also effective for aching muscles.
- Eucalyptus: Has been known for easing and cooling joint and muscle pain.
- You may rub this essential oil onto aching areas directly or mix it with another oil.
- Patchouli: Reduces fever induced inflammation.
- Combined with jojoba or sweet almond oils, patchouli essential oil can be massaged directly to the skin. You may also add several drops to your warm bath to ease your aching muscles and joints.